Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Turning a Picture Frame into a Chalkboard

I feel silly even calling this a tutorial.  It's not really.  I had this old picture & frame that I purchased on clearance at Ikea about 4 years ago.  It has been sitting in the basement with no purpose or home since we moved to this home so I finally decided to put it to work! Can you guess what I'm going to do?  Yup!  I tried to tell you that it wasn't much of a tutorial!


First, you'll want to take apart the picture frame.  You can set that aside. I happened to like the black frame (for now) but if you wanted to change it up, you could easily put a few very thin, even coats of whatever color tickles your fancy.



Here's what I used.  Rust-Oleum Chalk Board spray paint.  Super easy to use.  Just remember the thinner the coat, the better.  Just keep that can moving to get a nice, smooth, even application.


And that's it!  Once you let it dry, you can start making your designs.  I chose making a wreath first. I just took a string and wrapped it around my piece of chalk to make a (almost) perfect circle.


Just keep going!



It's never perfect, but that's why having a chalkboard is so great. Next week... or next season (whichever comes first) I'll have another clean slate.

I'll share the rest of the kitchen mantle soon!  Check Back!

-Janice

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yup, just spray paint the glass. I've changed it dozens of times. I have a few scratches that'll need touched up eventually but it still works for now!

      Delete

If you have a question and your profile is attached to your email address, I'll send you an email! If not, check back here and I'll leave your response under your comment. Don't have a question? I'd love for you to say "hello", anyway! :)