Monday, April 14, 2014

[B] is for Bloom: Scrap Lumber Flower Vases

We have a TON of scrap wood laying around from framing out our basement.  Like my dad says, "We're busy making little pieces out of big pieces."  Those little pieces won't all go to waste.  I have a few project ideas up my sleeves and even the hubby has one that he's itching to complete!


The first project that I was so excited to make were these wooden flower vases using test tubes!  Let me show you how to make them:


The beauty of these vases is in finishing them!  (or not finishing them!)  Personally, I think they're so pretty unfinished, too.


I decided to paint these white with some left over paint I had from some other projects.  Then, I busted out my trusty Silhouette Machine to cut out card stock letters for each block.  Then, I used a nice layer of Mod Podge to glue them on!   If you don't have one of these fancy machines, no worries!  You could trace and paint letters almost as easily!  


The test tubes were found on Amazon.  They came 25 to a package for $4.99!  Looks like I made some extra work for myself because I have plenty of test tubes to find a use for, now!

Be sure to pin this project for later because you never know when you'll have scrap lumber laying around!


Want to Check Out More Silhouette Projects?

My Silhouette Challenge buddies and I are all sharing projects on our blogs today, so peruse the projects below for a wealth of Silhouette inspiration!  Be sure to leave them some comment love & share a few projects that put a smile on your face!

  Spring Cleaning - Custom Canisters I Love Paris In the Springtime Etching for Sping - Mug Personalization for the April Silhouette Challenge WHEELY excited about spring No-Sew Fabric & Burlap Peter Cottontail Banner Narwhals, plus friends Gold Fern Easter Eggs Mr and Mrs Easter Egg Head Easter Bunny Plate Welcome Spring - A Sign From Tile Paper Flowers Wall Art DIY: Bunny-Stamped Goodie Bags for Easter Inspirational Window Now We Have Everything Nursery Art Spring' and Flowers Paper Banner Glitter Jars with a Happy, Hoppy Bunny Made with the Silhouette + Free Cut File! Mother's Day Wreath Decorate A Watering Can With Vinyl! April Showers Sketch Pen Printable Spring Wreath Burlap Garden Flag with Heat Transfer Vinyl Pretty Little Herb Pots Peter Cottontail Door Hanger Spring Has Sprung Spring Has Sprung - Subway Art Bloom And Grow Sunflower Bouquet for Teacher Appreciation Sharpie Easter Eggs Tear Open Easter Egg Cards Look what's Blooming! ~ Silhouette Challenge Everblooming Paper Bouquet Silhouette Challenge: Spring Polish Swap Card [B] is for Bloom: Scrap Lumber Flower Vases Tulip Time - Fridge Magnets Neon Paper Pinwheels {tutorial} A Happy Spring Card Sketching Just Got Easier! Spring Bunny Baskets Bird Nerd Easter Eggs Easter Peeps Treats with {FREE} Printables and Cut File Garden Bench Update
1. Dream a Little Bigger // 2. So Much Better With Age // 3. Adventures in All Things Food // 4. Creative Carnival // 5. The Kim Six Fix // 6. feto soap // 7. One Dog Woof // 8. The Experimental Home // 9. From Wine to Whine // 10. Architecture of a Mom // 11. Grey Luster Girl // 12. Minted Strawberry // 13. Designed Decor // 14. Tried & True // 15. Silhouette School // 16. Bringing Creativity 2 Life // 17. Weekend Craft // 18. Practically Functional // 19. Please Excuse My Craftermath... // 20. McCall Manor // 21. unOriginal Mom // 22. Creative Ramblings // 23. A Tossed Salad Life // 24. A Glimpse Into Barb's Life // 25. Kate's Paper Creations // 26. Simply Kelly Designs // 27. Cutesy Crafts // 28. Persia Lou // 29. Whats Next Ma // 30. Two Purple Couches // 31. The Frill of Life // 32. Nearly Handmade // 33. Get Silvered // 34. Ginger Snap Crafts // 35. Life After Laundry // 36. The Sensory Emporium // 37. Monograms & Cake // 38. The Thinking Closet // 39. My Paper Craze // 40. Chicken Scratch NY

I linked up to these fabulous parties:

The DIY'ers
Sweet Bella Roos
Upcycled Treasures
Dream a Little Bigger

21 comments:

  1. Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home


    Great job, Janice!
    I'm going to have to forward this link to my sister-in-law. She LOVES projects like this one. Thanks for sharing :0)
    Have a great Monday,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! We have some scrap wood, but you can only have so many signs around your home--this is different and doable. Followed you from 2 Crochet Hooks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! That is so smart, I love how you added the flowers! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Show-licious Craft and Recipe party! :) Pinned to the party board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need to find me some test tubes! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, so true!! But signs are SO much fun to make! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving the Show-licious party! Thank you so much for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey my sweet friend!

      Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us at Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! Please join us again this Saturday morning!

      ~ Ashley

      Delete
  7. amazon is your friend! :) i have a few extra laying around that I need to figure out what to do with, now! thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so gorgeous! My brother made a vase like this for christmas one year and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOH I love your project! I am so going to use this idea! I have a drawer full of extra test tubes from another project so I'm off to make this! Hope you'll check out my project too at http://www.katespapercreations.com/2014/04/spring-has-sprung-subway-art.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janice, I love this....nice job! Being your mother I sure hope to see something like this has a gift someday.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great project. I think I might have to try it too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your wood vases. Great tutorial and I love how you've decorated them

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cool idea! I love anything test tube-y, and this doesn't disappoint! Definitely pinned for later. I could make some amazing hostess gifts or other little presents using your method plus one of those wildflower bouquets from the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is SUPER cool! I'm sure I can dig up some scrap wood to turn into vases ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look great! I love the "Bloom" part :) You are so awesomely creative! Can't wait to see what else you do with those test tubes!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea Janice! This is a lovely way to celebrate spring. Love the test tubes! Thanks for sharing with Creative Spark.
    Glenna @ My Paper Craze

    ReplyDelete
  17. His estimated net worth is around a whopping $7 billion, as of March 2021 according to our news reports.
    Charlie Munger Family and job Details

    ReplyDelete
  18. His estimated net worth is around a whopping $7 billion, as of March 2021 according to our news reports.
    Larry Fink Family and job Details

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi,This is Harsh from Gokraftly, we deals on marble inlay handicrafts products in all over the world, here I read your article, it was really very good of knowledge, thanks for giving this valuable content for us.


    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and your profile is attached to your email address, I'll send you an email! If not, check back here and I'll leave your response under your comment. Don't have a question? I'd love for you to say "hello", anyway! :)